Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Butterscotch and Lace

I love pie. I love every kind of pie in the world. You think I'm joking, but I am not. I love pie because you can make a different one for every single occasion. If I could make pie every day, all day, I would be happy.

And when you are thinking about the ultimate indulgence. Butterscotch is at the top of the list. And really, this pie is so incredibly simple and takes very little time to make. A last minute pie is always the best kind of pie, in my opinion.

Here is my recipe. It's a combination of a few recipes and it works for me.

Combine in bowl 3 EGGS, 1/4 CUP AP FLOUR, 2 CUP BUTTERMILK and 1 TBSP VANILLA. Whisk well. Set aside.

Heat 1 CUP PACKED BROWN SUGAR and 1/3 CUP BUTTER over medium heat in saucepan for about 2 minutes until your mixture is dark and thick. Make sure you constantly stir (I always use a wooden spoon) so that your sugar doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan.

Turn down the heat, temper your egg mixture. (that means add a bit of the hot mixture to the cold, so that you are slowly heating it, if not, the eggs will cook and your have a butterscotch omelet. Yuck!)

Once your egg mixture is tempered, turn the heat back up to medium, and combine while always stirring. You want to cook the mixture until it thickens. Usually just a few minutes. You want it to be the consistency of really thick honey.

Remove it from the stove top and pour into pre-baked pie shells. I made minis, and doubled the recipe to get about 15. You will get one full size pie with this recipe, though.

Pop it into the oven and bake at 375 for 5 minutes. I think butterscotch is best served cold, kind of like revenge, but sweeter. Doug likes it with a dollop of whipped cream on top and I threw on some white chocolate shavings to make it fancy. I mean, what is pie if not fancy? Let me know if you try this recipe. I'd love to see what you think!

Also, remember that little contest we did a while back, the design your own sunglasses contest. I am way too lazy to link up to it right now, but just scroll and you will find it. ;)

Well, we pushed through mountains of orders to finally get these babies finished. I'm not going to lie. It wasn't easy. My idea was to just enamel paper doilies to them, but that did not work out. Doug tried a few other ideas, which just ended up looking like gallery pieces and not wearable sunglasses, but here are the end results. Lace and Wood. For your viewing pleasure.
What do you think? I have SO much work to do. Like a ridiculous amount of work to do, and it's already 11pm. Yikes! It's going to be a very very long night.

xo,
Beca

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing. Holy, lady, you work very hard! I love where you're going with these beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know what you mean. i love pie. i'm never sure which is my favorite. your butterscotch recipe looks amazing.
    and the glasses are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those sunglasses are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete