Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Years Resolutions

I know it isn't New Years Eve yet, which is when I planned on posting this, but the next 4 days are going to be crazy at work and I have a lot of things to do around the house and with the shop, that I wanted to post this today so it didn't get neglected. New Years resolutions have always seemed like a hoax to me, an excuse to try and do better things without the real oomph it takes to actually do them. I grew up in a house where making new years resolutions was looked down upon because if you really want to do something, you do it no matter the time of year. Hence, nothing ever changed or got done. I'm an adult now and I have recently decided that I want to celebrate Christmas and I want to make New Years resolutions. That's that.

Like I said, I have to work on New Years Eve and on New Years. This leads me to my first New Years resolution. I resolve that within a year, I will no longer be working a job where I have to be away from my home on holidays. I never planned on continuing to work in the service industry as a drink slinger. I don't hate making bloody mary's or milkshakes. I don't hate my job, not in the slightest, I actually really like it. I love my bosses, and the people I work with. I like helping people, but this is not what I am going to do for the rest of my life, or even the rest of the year. It's a priority for me. I don't want to miss memories just to bring home a few bucks.

When it comes to work, what leads to next is money. I know that money isn't the most important thing in the world, but I am not naive. I have been taking care of myself since for a long time and I have been paying my own bills for as long as I can remember. Now that I don't have school to pay for, I haven't been saving money at all. I think it is important to start saving. So, 2011, let's fill up those piggy banks with loose change and start saving money for some important life-things in the future.
I want to read more. I want to read more, and I want to write more. I used to read too much, to escape some really gnarly shit going on in my life, and as soon as I started being happy, I forgot that books make me happy too. (Isn't this little tiny book adorable. I love gingerly turning the pages and looking at the miniature words.)
I am going to try to eat healthier this year. I love junk food. I am a serious addict to chips and soda and mac&cheese and bacon. I'm not going to get rid of those favorites, but I am going to try to incorporate healthier stuff into the mix. Doug's on board too, so that inspires me too.My "office" is nothing of the sort right now. It is a room filled with boxes and crates of stuff and it is driving me crazy. I want to turn it into a functional office where I can do all of the work for our shop and also keep all of my projects in the same place. I am also going to try to be more organized this year and hopefully forever. It's a struggle. I'm NOT an organized person. But, I'm going to try harder. I'm embarrassed to show you this photo, but here it is. Maybe this will inspire me to change it!I'm going to finish this Blanket for Doug that I have been neglecting for the last 6 months. It is a king size blanket. I am making a goal to finish it this year! I will keep up with it's progress.
Some of my resolutions are simple. I want to walk the dogs more. I want to eat out less. Some of my resolutions won't happen in a year so I have a 5 year plan and I have every intention to follow through with it.
-We want a shipping container home. It has been Doug's dream for a long time, and I have adopted it as my own. It's honestly all I want and totally feasible.
-I want my own pie shop. I have had a lot of jobs, and the one I enjoy the most is pastry chef. I love baking, I love rolling our pie crusts and I love mixing ingredients to make something really delicious that makes people happy. I want to do this forever. I love vintage and I love my shop, but I don't think I will ever be able to pay my bills selling online, and I don't think I would want a brick and mortar vintage shop. I want to make pie. Quiche. Tarts. Forever.
-I want to really be better at saving money, and I am working really hard on making that a reality.
-I want for Dougie to have more photo shows. His last one was so incredible and I had so much fun helping to make it a reality. That is not in a five year plans, that is in a 6 month plan.

Anyways, I have some work to do with the shop and then I have to go to work. Another busy night I hope. Happy New Years if I don't get on here before then. Can't wait to read about everyone else's resolutions.

xo,
Beca

No comments:

Post a Comment