Sunday, July 1, 2012

Living Room Tour

I took some really rad photos of our living room last week, and then I deleted them all on accident, so I had to retake all the photos, and they don't look nearly as good as the first time. Of course! But I am too busy and impatient to retake them AGAIN, so here is a little peek at our living room. It's the first room you walk into when you walk in the house, and it's usually a mess, but since Doug's sister was staying with us for the last week, she helped us SO MUCH by cleaning and organizing all of our shit. Huge deal. Because if you know us at all, we are not the most organized people in the world, well, we're not even the most organized people in a room full of kindergartners. If we're being honest here.
livingroom
It's not a huge space, but it's super cozy and has enough room for two couches and plenty of floor space for projects. I think, come winter and mountain snow storms, we'll be getting this fireplace in working order, but right now, its just a hole in the wall. One thing about living in a 90 year old house in the oldest neighborhood in Chattanooga (and Tennessee) for that matter, is that there are a lot of, um, quirks...The foundation is kind of really wonky and if you put a marble at one end of the living room, it has about 6 different ways that it can roll. But I love that our house isn't perfect. I love everything is a little off kilter. It's fun!  
wall
shelf2
piano
If you haven't noticed, Doug and I are something of collectors. I sometimes say hoarders, but that's not true, we just like weird old things. We like what we like and it's apparent when you walk in our house. There is no sign of minimalism here - except our bedroom, the only room in the house with nothing hanging on the walls (except a gun rack and a mirror) and barely any furniture, sometimes there's clothes on the floor and a million dog toys, but after having bedrooms with lots of wall hangings and painted walls and all that, I prefer a white, quiet bedroom. No TV, no clock, it's nice...Anyways!  
fireplace
We have two couches, both vintage. We had a third, but it was falling to pieces to we scraped it. This plaid couch is itchy as all get out, so I don't sit on it much, but the green one is so comfortable! We got the green one at the habitat for humanity restore and the plaid one we got from a church for free. We helped them deliver a bunch of stuff to a charity, and we got to keep what we wanted. Such a sweet deal. 
couch1
couch2
record
shelf
So, there is a peek into our living room. I want to do a studio tour soon, when it's clean, I guess. Ha! This is my favorite room, so I did it first. I hope you liked seeing this space! 

xo,
Beca

16 comments:

  1. What a cool room. I love all of your nature bits. Old houses are really the best, because of all of their quirks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! you guys have the coolest stuff! i love seeing a house FULL of stuff! it makes me feel better about mine, since i've got collections everywhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It looks so great! You guys did such a good job on decorating. I really like how you guys have all of your collectibles up on the walls. To me, that really is the final touch that makes a house feel like a home. We never seem to get to that point, but I have hope this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your space. No matter that the first photos bummed out, these show it really well! It's very different than what I'm use to seeing around here int he blogosphere, a breathe of fresh air.
    Love your ship fireplace! Hope it gives you no grief come winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this room. We totally have similar tastes. When I've got unpacked I'm going to try and get back into blogging with some posts doing a tour of my flat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love how cozy it looks. it's very warm and welcoming! i also love how your furnitures gives off a tribal feel. it's soooo awesome!

    10% off discount code to Vantage Point Vintage

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are so awesome. I want to live there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl, our home decor style is one of the same. 'Weird, old stuff' as you said...dead animals, antlers and the like!! Love your living room...it definitely looks cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I CAN'T WAIT TO COME STAY WITH YOU!!!!! and as i was reading this post just now i turned to chris and said, "we ARE going to tennessee." i love all of your stuff, and the way it all works together and is so you. also, that looks like a dinosaur skull it's so big. maybe when you and doug come here you'll find more antlers in the woods or fields to add to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have someone organize my house! Sweet deal. Love your place. Love the itchy couch, too bad it's itchy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dead stuff is the best stuff and collections of random knick knacks only makes a room cozier. That's what I've always told my past roommates when they ask me what my deal is... haha. I really, REALLY, dig that huge casted ship in front of your fire mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your home. It's just lovely. It must be so peaceful to live there and be surrounded with things you adore.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your home and the things that you collect! Our homes should definitely be a reflection of us - that's what makes them cozy and well, interesting. And wow, your fireplace screen thingie with the ship is ah-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. It's bright, cheery and eclectic all at the same time. That is my favorite style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your house is super cozy and reminds me of my Granny-ma's house. *sqweee*
    I can't wait to get up there to Chattanooga. Hopefully Northshore will have some good houses at our price range up for rent. *fingers are crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live in st elmo, and its pretty affordable but bit many houses to rent, most are for sale... red bank/north shore is going to be the most expensive but if you really look you can probably find something for a good price. A lot if people we know live in highland park and really like it. It's on the up and up. When are you moving here?

      Delete