Wednesday, July 13, 2011

4 Stories : The Library

This month, I am going to join in with Leigh-Ann's Four Stories series, and I am excited mostly because it's about my favorite topic; The Library. Later, I want to post about Danielle's writing prompt, also.

Story One // My Sanctuary
When I was young, reading was my escape. I lived and breathed books. I was part of several "book clubs" that mail you three books a month, but that was hardly enough. I devoured books. From the Babysitters Club, to Stephen King novels, to anything and everything Judy Blume. I loved the escape. The library was my sanctuary. I could spend hours wandering the isles and toting an armful of books to the checkout. During the summer months, I would spend much of the day collecting stories to take home and binge on.

Story Two // The Divorce
When my parents divorced, the didn't want to see each other, and didn't want to go to each other's houses to pick me up or drop me off, so every other Friday, My mom dropped my off at the library, and my Dad picked me up 20 minutes later. I didn't complain, because I loved my free time to explore my home away from home.

Story Three // The Messiest Reader
The local library had a policy, if you lost or damaged a book, you could replace it with a similar book. If I lost A Babysitters Club book, I could replace it with a Goosebumps book. Easy peasy. For someone who is perpetually messy, this came in handy often. I also tend to love my books to death. I carry them everywhere until I'm done reading them. I eat with my books, I take baths with my books. I fall so deeply in love with my stories that I often destroyed them. Good thing I could do the old switcheroo.

Story Four // Avid
By the time I was in 4th grade, I had a 12th grade reading level. I read chapter books like they were going out of style. I used to get in trouble for reading in class. NO JOKE! So by the time I was in college, I had already read half the library. I was what you may call, an avid reader. I didn't have a lot of time to fun-read during my thesis year, but I used to spend the night in the library a few times a week editing in the media center. When I got dizzy with film editing, I would wander the isles of the upper levels. I would often end up with a book to take down and escape for a bit before I would get back to editing.

You can join in too, just take a jump on over to Freckled Nest and join in the fun!

xo,
Beca

3 comments:

  1. What a fun prompt!!! I love the library and I swear, I rarely ever leave with one or two books, it's usually an overflowing armful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...out of curiosity, what's your favorite book? (I understand, so I'll accept a list)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindred spirit! I used to go to the library most days after school for years and had read all the books that interested me in the youth section pretty early on. I moved on to wandering adult fiction and picking books by their covers, then descriptions. I ended up reading very, ahem, mature subject matter when I was pretty young because of this, haha.

    ReplyDelete