Friday, April 1, 2011

Lovely Ladies Vol 5 Cailin Holmes

I have had this Lovely Ladies post ready to be posted for a while and for some reason, keep forgetting to post it. Which is silly, because this week, I am featuring the oh so lovely Cailin Holmes. Cailin is an incredible fashion photographer and if you are in the bay area and need photos shot for your clothing or handmade collection, she needs to be your go-to girl! I'll let her tell you the rest!

Name: Cailin Holmes

Location: San Francisco, California

Occupation: Photographer, and student at California College of the Arts

Website: www.flickr.com/photos/cailinholmes

How long have you been creating art?: As long as I can remember! My mom teaches elemetary school art and has always encouraged me to create.

What is your favorite medium to work in and why?: Photography! I guess it boils down to the moment. I love capturing "the moment", I suppose that I see it as the closest possible way to capturing a physical feeling.

Where do you get your inspiration from?: I am hugely inspired by the past. I pretty much live and breathe all things vintage and antique. I draw from the careful attention to detail and design from days past that I feel has been lost in modern times. I am going to learn how to make Tin-types soon, it's ridiculously exciting.

What words of advice do you have for new artists?: Try everything! My first mistake was to focus too closely on the medium of art I cared about most. I only took photography classes in my first years of college, but when I started taking classes in other mediums of art I began to see new approaches I could take in my photography and new places it could end up.

What is something that you have learned in the past 5 years when it comes to being a working artist?: I have learned that making money as an artist is time consuming, you really have to put yourself out there, talk to everyone!

What has been the hardest hurdle you have had to overcome as a working artist?: Figuring out the balance between art for arts sake and working as an artist. Sometimes they overlap, but when they don't it is a challenge to make the most of a work situation. I try to approach everything with as much of an open mind as I can so that even when the work seems boring I can learn something from it.

Where do you see yourself and your art in 5 years?: Rich and famous. haha. I would love to be working both as a professional photographer, weddings, products, fashion and expanding my creative work, I guess just with a little more focus than I have now. I really want to travel around the nation and do street portraiture.

xo, Beca

1 comment: