Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lovely Ladies Vol. 3 - Sarah Steppelman

I am up to my elbows cleaning my studio this afternoon, but I wanted to take a moment to share with you a very lovely lady. Today, I'm excited to feature my dear friend Sarah. I met Sarah through her fiancée, who is one of Doug's best buddies, and I am so glad to know her. Sarah is so super sweet and makes the prettiest art; full of floral and fauna. Two of my favorite things. And she quotes Morrissey, which makes me love her even more! Lucky girl! Here she is!
Name: Sarah Steppelman
Location: Durango, Colorado
Occupation: Floral Designer/Painter
Website: www.sarahsteppelman.com
How long have you been creating art?:
I grew-up drawing and painting because my father is a painter and always had great art supplies around. I took it seriously when I was fifteen and took a trip to Italy and was inspired by the works by many of the old masters.

What is your favorite medium to work in and why?:Acrylic paint. I can't stand the fumes from the solutions for oil painting, which I lament, because oil handles beautifully.

Where do you get your inspiration from?:Mammals, primarily. Also: forced-interaction, isolation, tutus, albinos, the Rococo. Artists Jenny Saville, Tim Hawkinson, and Michael Hussar. Music by David Bowie.
What words of advice do you have for new artists?:
Take a business class. I never did. Learn to make your own panels/canvases. I am terrible at this, but they are much more attractive than the store-bought variety.
What is something that you have learned in the past 5 years when it comes to being a working artist?:
"Sing Your Life".

What has been the hardest hurdle you have had to overcome as a working artist?:
Time-management. I live in a beautiful place and the outdoors are very distracting.
Where do you see yourself and your art in 5 years?
Hopefully in my own little mountain studio with lots of light.

Thank's ya'll for reading these Lovely Ladies features. I have so much fun interviewing all these girls. If you want to be a part of this feature, no matter your medium, please email me at tumbleweeds{dot}shop{at}gmail{dot}com.

mucho xo,
Beca

2 comments:

  1. how great! Her work is so amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah her paintings and the horse sculpture is awesome!! i'm also intrigued on what she means by forced interaction under her influences.

    ReplyDelete