Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gigantic - Movie Review

We watched Gigantic the last night on Netflix Instant Play. I LOVE Zooey Deschanel. She can do no wrong in my eyes, and she was rad in this movie. It was weird to see the kid (Paul Dano) from Little Miss Sunshine as a grown-up, but he did a good job too. Anyways, The plot of this movie is strange. Brian is a mattress salesman who has wanted to adopt a Chinese baby since he was 8 years old, and is going through the process to make this a reality. Then he meets Happy, played by the lovely Zooey Deschanel. She is quite strange herself. Her Dad is John Goodman, an eccentric rich man with chronic back pain. They are two meek twenty somethings trying to figure their lives out. The film is all about the relationships people have with their family, their friends and strangers. There is also Zach Galifinakis as a violent homeless man stalking Brian. Like I said, weird. (I also love Zach Galifinakis, espcially in funny or die skits.)

Every character in this movie is lovable and it wasn't as much as a comedy as I expected since it made me cry a lot after it was over. Maybe the relationships of the characters and their parents really hit home for me, but it was definitely worth the watch. I liked the strangeness of it, and usually I will shy away from movies that are strange just for the sake of it. The characters in "Gigantic" were very human and the awkwardness is easy to relate to.
I don't really know what other movie to compare it to, I'm not good at that, but I liked it and it's worth a watch if you're looking for something to watch on a rainy afternoon. It kind of had a Todd Solondz feel to it, but lighter. Have you seen this? What did you think?

xo,
Beca

1 comment:

  1. i saw this movie a while back and i agree with what you say about the strangeness. it definitely was not what i expected, but i loved it just the same. and as always, huge girl crush on zooey deschanel. but who doesn't?

    ReplyDelete