Friday, July 13, 2012

Blackberry Challah French Toast

There are three things I love in this world. Blackberries. Fresh Challah. Breakfast. Not really in that order, and I love other things too, but I can be sure that my love for breakfast, bread and berries will never fade. 
two
\three
four
I am a pretty big fan of Challah to begin with, I love the process of making it, I love the way it smells when it's baking, I love the way it tastes right out of the oven and I love making french toast with it. It seems more special than regular bread. I always mix my egg/milk mixture with cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar, soak the bread slices (cut them thick!) and then sprinkle brown sugar on top while they are cooking. I put them on the stove over butter, because this is the south, after all, and today topped them with blackberry compote. Here is a pretty standard recipe for blackberry compote. Since I am doing weight watchers again, and maple syrup is 23 points (!!!) I figured I would try something on the healthier side. Boy, am I happy I did. (side note, a cup of maple syrup is 23 points, and I doubt that I would ever put a cup of maple syrup on anything. But when I looked it up, I almost had a heart attack. haha!)

If you are feeling adventurous, heres a good recipe for Challah. If not, you can buy it at most grocery stores. Challah french toast is also really good with cane syrup, if you're into that kind of thing. 

What's your favorite breakfast? 
xo,
Beca

12 comments:

  1. Wow that looks absolutely heavenly! I'm a big fan of waffles and blackberries! I've been meaning to make some for quite a while now especially since all the blackberries bushes around us are ready for the picking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fresh blackberries are such a godsend. There are so many wild bushes around our house. :)

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh man. Can you make this for me? Haha this looks DELICIOUS. & I'm usually not really a big fan of french toast. But I think this would change my mind.

    My favourite breakfast is eggs, sunny side up (I love runny yolk, haha I know that grosses some people out!) and nice & TOASTED toast... I like it almost burned, ha. And some hash browns! With ketchup, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I will be trying my hand at this ASAP. I've never made challah before, and I think I'm feeling up to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Challah reminds me of my Jewish summer camp. We always called it Holly in my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely would like to try and make challah. Especially when I could make something this delicious out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freaking love challah, it's seriously the best bread. Your french toast recipe sounds great, I would definitely love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks SO good! I'm not even going to show Chad the pictures...okay, I am...but he's gonna want some, like, now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh this sounds SO GOOD.

    My favorite breakfast would have to be tofu scramble with LOTS of hashbrowns, and some toast with butter and honey. Yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks MF Delish!!! I love scones for breakfast, mmm. Now i'm hungry, but what else is new, Im sucha lard :)

    ReplyDelete